Tuesday, July 10, 2007

For Dinner Tonight:

Santa Fe Beef
Rice
Homemade Bread
Corn Salad
Rhubarb Yoghurt

Hmm, not so sure about this one. The Santa Fe Beef was unusual, nice but unusual. Rob said it was 'delicious', but I suspect he was practising the gift of encouragement. It was supposed to be chicken but I had some stewing steak in the freezer already and thought I would use it up. To the beef was added sweet corn, kidney beans, salsa and, towards the end of cooking, cream cheese. I worried that there might not be enough liquid and that it might dry out but it turned out just fine. The menu plan said to serve with rice, tortillas and crusty bread but I decided that was one carbohydrate too far and settled for the rice and bread! The corn salad (sweet corn, red pepper, lemon dressing and basil - which I forgot to add) was okay but the dressing was somewhat sharp. Sweet corn in the main dish and sweet corn salad? Well, we like sweet corn but ... The rhubarb was left over from cordial making at the weekend and I added it to homemade yoghurt with, I must confess, lots of sugar. The boys fell upon this with delight but treated the main course with great suspicion! Never mind, the most wonderful thing is that it made a huge amount and we can have it for dinner tomorrow. Bliss!

1 comment:

Laura said...

I made Santa Fe chicken on Sunday because I can put it in teh slow cooker before we leave for church and it's done when we get home. We use frozen chicken breasts, black beans, corn, and salsa. I serve it with rice and fry up corn tortillas to go with it. We usually have green salad and fruit with it, too. We had some of the leftovers for supper last night and for breakfast this morning!