Wednesday, June 27, 2007

For Dinner Tonight:

Butternut Squash & Red Onion Soup
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Homemade Raspberry Ice-Cream

A very autumnal meal for a summer's day but if you could see the weather here you would think it was November and not June! It briefly stopped raining this afternoon but now it is teeming down again. We are blessed not to be in a flood area - other parts of the country have been seriously affected. The soup could not have been more simple: frozen butternut squash puree from last year's harvest added to some red onions which were softened in butter and olive oil, let out with some vegetable stock. I was going to puree it again but decided against it and the ribbons of onion made a nice contrast with the velvety soup. I only had enough cream to make a half batch of ice-cream but I did have a lot of raspberry puree to add to it. I've never had raspberry ice-cream before and it's an unusual flavour. I don't think I would be able to identify it as raspberry in a blind tasting (in the way you could tell at a taste strawberry or blackcurrant, for example) but it is jolly nice to eat!

No comments: