Sunday, June 24, 2007

Fathers' Day (Belatedly)

As a family we have a tradition of celebrating things like birthdays and anniversaries at times other than the dates on which they actually fall. This needs explaining and it's a long story best kept for another time. This month it was the turn of Fathers' Day. Here the explanation is simple - it should have been last Sunday but we were travelling home the whole day and there wasn't time to do justice to the occasion. So we celebrated it today with presents, chocolate and a favourite ice-cream (there would have been cards too but I've put them away somewhere safe and can't for the life of me remember where!). If ever I were tempted to doubt the goodness, mercy and loving-kindness of God all would I have to do would be to take a look at the man who is my precious husband and the father of our children. My heart thrills when I ponder the reality that God brought us together and that this strong, quiet, kind and godly man is my husband.

Here is a picture of him doing something he loves to do. He spent much of his childhood in the countryside and studied forestry for his degree and his natural environment would be a small-holding in the woods. The boys had never seen him chop wood before our visit to the cottage and every time he split a log they both cheered and clapped!




No comments: