1. Flat green clouded glass bowl, planted with primula malacoides, with the soil carpeted with moss.
2. A rustic basket spilling over bunches of lightly tied polyanthus, of different shades but all to tone.
3. Japanese garden planted with a sprig of fresh cherry-blossom to impart a fresh touch.
4. Bowl massed with wallflower, arranged so that each different shade forms a ring.
5. Flat silver or iridiscent glass fruit-dish lined with damp moss and planted closely with either pale pink or mauve tulip heads, with sprigs of forget-me-nots spraying up between.
6. China shoe, or "bachel" filled with water and a little shot. Arrange in it sprays of varying lengths of flowering currant, fruit-blossom, etc.
7. Low oblong earthenware jardinière, overflowing with a green growing carpet of "Mrs. Gossip," planted with any garden flowers that tone with your colour scheme.
(The Housewives' Monthly Calendar by Elizabeth Craig, 1936 Chapman & Hall, London)