Monday, April 24, 2006

Why Baleboosteh?

Okay, so the second post is no easier to make than the first! I wonder what the statistics are for blogs that only have one initial post and then peter out into the ether. So here we go again, this time with some more introductory thoughts.....

Why 'Baleboosteh'? Well, I'm not Jewish or a Messianic Believer nor even the kind of Christian who observes Jewish festivals, holidays or food laws. Nothing against such things if that is where you feel the Lord is leading you but it isn't what we do (I have enough trouble thinking my way around the usual Christian festivals without adding some more!).

I have always loved studying language or rather how the English language has developed and embraced words from other languages. The English language is very sponge-like - absorbing new words is what has given it its richness over the years. French, Italian, Indian, all have added to the mix but my personal favourite is Yiddish. What an amazing language (itself of course a generous mix of 'donations' from other tongues)! Baleboosteh has never made it into regular English usage (shame) but it is, to my mind, a delicious word. I like the way it sounds and I love the idea of 'an excellent and praiseworthy homemaker' sitting cheek by jowl with 'a bossy woman'. I'd like to be one but find myself so often the other. A love of Yiddish also in part comes from my mother who grew up in a part of the East End of London in the 1920's and 30's which was predominently Jewish. So she had a good smattering of Yiddish expressions which she passed on to her children (not to mention words completely of her own invention for which she had a true gift). I like to think she would approve. So there you have it, the story of why 'Baleboosteh'.
P.S. The male counterpart to a 'baleboosteh' is a 'baleboss', equally delightful I think.

1 comment:

MORTONCLAN said...

Good evening, Michelle. I'm Jeanine and I appreciate your comment on our blog. God is faithful, isn't He. Yeah for Yiddish !! Keep blogging. We are looking forward to more on your blog. :)